- 1 pkg frozen leaf spinach, defrost and drain, coarsely chopped if needed
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced or omitted if cooking for someone on an onion boycott
- 5 tbs oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan
- 1 pinch ground asafetida
- 2 tsps black mustard seeds
- 2 cloves minced garlic or a pinch of garlic powder
- 3 or 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Prepare spinach, onions and potatoes in advance.
- Put oil into heavy pan over medium heat.
- When hot put in asafetida and a second later, mustard seeds.
- When the mustard pops, add the onions and garlic and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add the potato and cayenne and stir-fry for a minute or 2.
- Add spinach, salt and 2 tablespoons water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook on low 30 to 40 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Stir occasionally and add water if it gets too dry.