Looks like every two years or so, I have a Good Eats list. It’s about that time. This latest edition will necessarily include eateries in Silver Spring now that my favorite DC haunts are not within walking distance anymore. Some, however, are so worth it, they remain on the list.
Baji’s Top Eateries Around Town:
- Best Brunch: SS: Eggspectation. A chain, yes, but only eight restaurants in Ontario and Quebec, five in the U.S. and three in India. Hm. Anyway, not only is it around the corner from us, but the Oy Veg is smashing, there’s free wi-fi, and they are very kid-friendly.
- Best 24-hour: SS: Tastee Diner. Nowhere near as amazing as DC’s The Diner but it is around the corner from us and the milk shakes are amazing, especially when coupled with hot, crispy fries. Plus, they don’t mind you using their free wi-fi and a/c or heat when the power goes out which, as we found, is about once a season. Also very kid-friendly.
- Best Sushi: DC: Kotobuki. Bite-sized morsels that melt in your mouth and at a great price.
- Best Ethiopian: [tbd – used to be Meskerem but Silver Spring has a fair number of them around and we’ll need to taste test each before this entry is updated].
- Best Indian: DC: Rasika. Seriously amazing stuff including their famous Palak Chaat (crispy spinach).
- Best South Indian: SS(ish):
Udupi Palace.Woodlands. No longer a hike to get there and the all-you-can eat brunch with free dosas makes it worth it. Discovered that the non-buffet sit-down-and-eat-properly fare is even better. The grocery store next door is nicely stocked as well.
- Best Spanish tapas: Goodbye Jaleo and your stupid new tricks [food in a shoe, indeed]. We’ll choose DC’s Oyamel for now with its absolutely lovely waitstaff and wonderful table-side guacamole show. It seems a new crop of tapas places are opening up ’round hyah so stay tuned.
- Best Vietnamese: DC: Nam Viet. Haven’t had a bad meal there yet.
- Best Middle Eastern: Lebanese Taverna. Another crowd-pleaser that we often visit when money-bags parents are in town. There is a cafe version in DTSS which offers tasty falafel and hummus but nothing beats the newly-renovated DTDC one.
- Best Pizza:
Vace.Pete’s Pizza. Pete’s offers New Haven-type pizza and delivers AND a new one is about to open just around the corner from us! Two Amys offers Neapolitan style pizza and requires driving and I haven’t been there in years but have fond memories of it.
- Best Bagels: DC: So’s Your Mom. SS: Goldberg’s New York Bagels. Goldberg’s is closed on Saturday for the shabbat so you KNOW they are good.
- Best Afghan: VA: Afghan Restaurant. What the name lacks in cleverness, the cuisine makes up for in taste. Way far away in Crystal City.
- Best Kebabs: VA:
Food Factory.Kabob Palace. Also way far away in Crystal City but since LB works right there, easy enough to place an order through her and have it delivered. Through her. Tip well!
- Best Butter Chicken: SS: Ghar-E-Kebab. Close by and they deliver. Don’t listen to TP who always insists that the tandoori chicken is the way to go. Get the butter chicken and thank me later (i.e. while I’m helping you eat it off your plate).
- Best Mexican: DC:
Mixtec.Super Tacos. Just click on the link and turn up the volume to get your first taste. Mi Rancho is much much closer but does not even compare. Still looking for a good one in SS.
- Best Latkes, Pastrami Sandwiches, Matzoh Ball Soup, and French Toast:
Open City.SS: Parkway Deli. Don’t let the cranky old people dissuade you from standing in a sluggish line to get seated elbow-to-elbow with them.
- Best Seafood: DC: Grillfish. Wide selection and since they specialize in fish, you can’t be steered too wrongly as, say, if you visited one of those mix of cuisine joints.
- Best Ps’ghetti: DC: La Tomate. The other dishes are great too but I love their ps’ghetti.
- Best Lasagna: SS: Olazzo. Veggie and meat.
- Best Gelato: DC:
Dolcezza. Pitango Gelato. *dies*
- Best Spring Rolls: DC: Thaiphoon. Crunchy and veggie.
- Best Thai: SS(ish)
Nava ThaiRuan Thai. Beware, this place is wildly popular on the weekends. One larb-gai-craving evening, we called to place an order to pick up and we were told there was over a two-hour wait. TO PICK UP! Worth it.
- Best Tea: DC: Teaism. Lovely wares and calming atmosphere.
- Best Coffee: DC:Illy. Always.
- Best Cupcakes: DC: Baked & Wired. Who knows how long this ridiculous cupcake fad will last but while it does, this is the place to go.
- Best Fancy Nearby: SS: 8407 Kitchen Bar. Our real estate agent gave us a $200 gift card here when we closed on our house and in three careful meals, we used it up. I got the “8407 Lamb Bolognaise with House Made Tagliatelle” every time but also sampled TP’s variety and was well-pleased. I could have chosen Mrs. K’s Tollhouse but unless you are a 70 year old woman and/or just coming back from church on Sunday morning, you should stick with Kitchen Bar.
- Best Burmese: SS: Mandalay. Gives me tummy rumblin’s every time but I keep going back.